Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Rocky Patel & JR Cigars

At lunch today I drove to JR Cigars to take advantage of the Rocky Patel event and meet the man himself. When I arrived, the place was packed. I talked to a couple of the JR guys and they said Rocky was in a meeting and will be arriving shortly.

I took this opportunity to pick out the cigars I wanted at the buy 3 get 1 free discount. I chose 1 Patel Bros robusto, 2 Patel Bros torpedoes, 1 2009 Autumn robusto, 1 Nording robusto and 1 1961 robusto. I already have had 2 2009 Autumn torpedoes and the JR guys gave me a 1961 robusto the last time I was in there. I now have a nice selection of all of the new RP cigars to try (except the Especials, but I have had 1 of each of the Cameroon and Corojo and they weren't terrible, but nothing 'special' either-$3.xx and another post for another day).

Rocky shows up before I can pay for my cigars and the store/walk-in humidor is jam packed full of guys taking Rocky's picture, getting autographs and shaking his hand. Rocky was dressed in a black pinstriped suit, brown shoes, white shirt and neon green tie. He was shorter and skinnier than I at about 5 foot 8 and 160 pounds. He was a nice guy that talked to everyone that approached him. On my way to check out I shook his hand and told him I appreciated the consistent quality of cigars he continues to put out there. He also confirmed for me that the Patel Bros is in fact the Winter blend and one of his favorites.

I pushed my way through the crowd, paid for my cigars, received my two free Renaissance toros and went back to work. I am glad I went, but wish that I had my camera to take a picture for the blog or had him sign an autograph to The OCCS. Again, I wish that all of you were there. Hopefully reviews of these new cigars will be on the blog in the next few weeks. I am now on my way to enjoy one of the Patel Bros robustos right now (I never got a chance to try one of the highly talked about Winter blends, so I am really looking forward to it).

Take care-
Joe

2 comments:

  1. I tried and tried to get the opportunity to get out there but I just couln't get the time. Oh, well, maybe we can do it the next time he is in town (prob. 2018). Post reviews on the 1961 when you get the chance. I am looking forward to that one.

    ReplyDelete