Friday, October 30, 2009

Review Rocky Patel Patel Brothers Toro 6.5" x 52

I picked this up last week and couldn't wait until tonight to enjoy it so I smoked it on the way back from the funeral today. This is exactly like the 08 Winter blend and man is it good.

The dark Maduro broadleaf wrapper is a little oily with few veins. On the first light lots of thick, white smoke and plently of medium to full body. About half way through I got a lot of smoked meat flavors. Different but kind of neat. This would be a great cigar to have with some cheese and some of my favorite Scotch. Very unique. The last third was heavy on leather and earth with some more of the smoked meats.

This will have to become a humidor regular. 9.5/10

Matt

2 comments:

  1. Well, I have had a few of these now. I think two robustos and two torpedoes. Dark, oily and perfectly constructed maduro wrapper. Rocky's website states that it is a broadleaf wrapper from Lancaster County in Pennsylvania-pretty cool.

    I'll review the torpedo that I just finished up. When pressed between my fingers, the cigar bounced right back and was fairly firm. Very dark and oily. After lighting, the draw was excellent. Thick smoke and spice with cocoa in the background. After the first quarter of the cigar, the spiciness moved to the background and rich would be the perfect word for the remainder of the cigar. Really rich, cocoa and coffee flavors with the spice and an earthy flavor in the background. Just a slight uneven burn, but no complaints or corrections. I would say this is a medium to maybe a full bodied cigar that is definitely worth smoking. The price was still a little more than I like to pay at $8 for the torpedo, but not too bad. The Casa Magna has this one beat on all accounts in my book, but still worth it to try the Patel Bros. (Would you all compare the Patel Bros to the Casa Magna, or no?)

    9/10

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not compare this to the Casa (really, what EXACTLY to you compare the Casa to? What a great smoke). I would compare the Patel Bros closer to a CAO Maduro or maybe even an Indian Tobac Super Fuente Maduro.

    ReplyDelete