Thursday, September 2, 2010

REVIEW ASHTON VSG ILLUSION

Cigar Name: Ashton VSG (Virgin Sun Grown) Illusion

Wrapper: Ecuador (Sun Grown)

Binder:
Dominican Republic

Filler:
Dominican Republic

Size: Lancero 6.5” x 44 ring gauge

Strength: Full strength

Body: Full bodied

Price: $9.xx-$14.xx per cigar
Smoking time: 1 - 1 1/2 hours

I have spoken a LOT about how much I enjoy my VSG’s. However, it was pointed out to me that I have never done a review on them. So here goes:

APPEARANCE: My VSG’s look like elegance. They all have veinless wrappers and a slight sheen of oil. 10/10

CONSTRUCTION: There are no soft spots on these and they feel very solid throughout. Each wrapper must have been inspected with a fine tooth comb because they look identical. That is hard to do. 10/10

BURN: For all of the VSG’s that I have smoked, the Illusion has by far been the best burn. That is not to say the others have been bad, just that this size is rolled expertly. 10/10

AROMA: As I am taking notes on this cigar, I am beginning to think that this could be our first perfect score. The aroma is rich with leather and tobacco. As the cigar burns down to the second third, it starts with lots of grass and hay. Certainly nothing unpleasant. 10/10

DRAW: There is just the slightest hint of resistance to the draw which makes for a very smooth smoke. I was able to smoke each of these down to the nub and beyond. I can’t say enough about the precision that went into making this cigar. 10/10

FLAVOR: I admit I am not the best at picking up flavors but I did get some earthy nuttiness. Because nothing was really outstanding on this category, I am afraid I can’t make it perfect. The search continues… 9/10

AVAILABILITY: Ah yes, availability. While you can find these at any number of brick and mortar stores, including Alcorns, where I bought mine, these are certainly cost prohibitive. However, you get what you pay for. This is not an everyday smoke, but when you can afford it, this is worth every penny. 8/10

PERSONAL OVERALL EXPERIENCE: I never, ever want to be out of these cigars. I have said several times that these are my favorite cigar and from the review I just posted, you can see why. I do have to add that these particular Illusions have been in my humidor for over 3 years. I don’t know if that affected the review much, but it needs to be stated. Just a great time smoking these and I can’t wait to have another. 30/30

Total Score: 97/100

To date, this is the highest rated cigar we have on here and again, full disclosure, these ARE my favorite and they have been resting/ageing for over 3 years. Has anyone else tried these and if so, what are your thoughts?

Matt

3 comments:

  1. Nice review Matt. About time you did a VSG review!

    I have had a couple (cannot remember the sizes) and remember them being great. Matter of fact, one of you may have given me one before. The price does tend to make me shy away from these, but that is the only reason I don't smoke Ashton cigars. I think I will buy one of these soon...thanks for the review.

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have smoked a few of these, and I agree that they are great cigas. 90+ for sure in my book.

    I think you should feature these at your next meeting.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I already bought cigars for October. Maybe next time. I am torn between the VSG and a Victor Sinclair...

    ReplyDelete