Wednesday, June 16, 2010

REVIEW CAIN F TORPEDO

Cigar Name: Cain F Torpedo

Wrapper: Nicaragua (Habano)

Binder: Nicaragua

Filler: Nicaragua

Size: Torpedo (6 x 54)

Strength: Full strength

Body: Full bodied

Price: $5.xx-$7.xx per cigar
Smoking time: 1 ½ - 2 hours

The Cain F is the brain child of Sam Leccia, a former salesman for Olivia and also the father of the Nub cigars. The Cain F was originally a "special release" cigar that has now been introduced into a regular line up. The first release was only in the Robusto size (5x50) but they thankfully decided to make 3 sizes of the F upon the full release. The other interesting fact is that the F series has a whopping 82% Ligero. Lets see how they did with the blend:

APPEARANCE: The Cain F looks like it will knock your block off. Very smooth, oily wrapper with no flaws. The Torpedo is a very good looking cigar and the bright red band at the foot makes it stand out even more. 10/10

CONSTRUCTION: This is one solidly built cigar. You could almost drive a nail with this. I would expect nothing less from an Olivia rolled cigar though. 10/10

BURN: My biggest concern with that much Ligero was the actual burn of the tobacco. I don't know how they did it but out of the five cigars I have smoked so far, I only had one that had ANY burn issues. And that could have been just pure chance. However, hat one was a pain as I had about 6 or 7 relights and touchups. The ash was solid and white. The other thing is the Ligero makes your eyes burn. Badly. You have to be very respectful of its power. 8/10

AROMA: Honestly, I didn't get that many different aromas out of the Cain F. I can normally pick up on something but not here (other than smoke and tobacco). I think the Ligero will mask some of that and it is something I miss. 7/10

DRAW: With the exception of the one, draw was excellent (again I think that is a tribute the excellent quality of the rollers at Olivia). Despite the harness and solid feel of the cigars, I had a very good draw. 8/10

FLAVOR: I did get some but it was of a leather, hayish smell. Not bad, just different. 8/10

AVAILABILITY: These are very easy to come by now. Just by doing a quick search online, there are several pages of places that have these in stock. Very different than the origional release. 10/10

PERSONAL OVERALL EXPERIENCE: The power of this Cain F Torpedo is not to be taken lightly. It is not as strong as the origional release Robusto but none the less, this is probably the strongest line of cigars I have ever had. I had one of these in the AM on the way to work one day and I had to go out and get food. Even after soaking my arteries in fat and grease, I didn't feel right until 2pm. Again, you just have to be respectful of the power of this cigar. It is a great smoke after a full meal and I am VERY glad I still have several of these in my humi. The Torpedo seems to concentrate the smoke (and power) and it is a nice touch. 25/30

Total Score: 86/100

As this was the featured cigar of May, I would like to know what everybody else thought. Please add comments.

Matt

7 comments:

  1. On a side note, Joe, how was the Liga Privada 9?

    I finally had the Master Blends III and WOW. I would have given that as high a rating as the Casa Magna. Just dynamite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, Matt.

    The Cain F torpedo was a very relaxing and smooth cigar. I remember enjoying it very much. I only have had the robusto up until the May meeting and I think the robusto offered more flavor, but the torpedo was a smoother smoking cigar; maybe caused by the bigger ring gauge. I do not remember being overpowered by the high nicotine content, but I won't let my guard down the next time I have one, because I will be having another. Has anyone had the 6 x 60 in the F line yet? I wonder if it will have even less flavor and not as strong as the torpedo. I agree with the rating.

    I have not had the Liga Privada yet. However, I just smoked my 601 Blue label robusto tonight and it was a very nice cigar. Medium bodied, bitter tasting (dark chocolate and roasted nuts-I sipped quite a bit of water), no spice and very mellow. The rugged Nicaraguan maduro wrapper and some of the flavors reminded me of the MB III. VERY relaxing cigar. I've heard people say that a cigar can leave a 'clean palate' and the 601 Blue did that. Beautiful evening outside too. I'd like to buy more and do a review. Maybe this will be August's cigar???

    Glad you enjoyed the MB III. I've had all of the vitolas and I liked the double robusto the most. I am out of this cigar (couldn't resist), but I will buy another double robusto the next time I get cigars and do a review on them.

    I will be enjoying the My Father this Sunday...on Father's Day. It is a regular My Father and not the Le Bijou. If I like it, maybe I will seek out the Le Bijou as I hear it is more flavorful and stronger.

    Take care-
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I have the Liga Privada T52. The gentleman at Just For Him said it was the stronger and more flavorful of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what I did last night. I came home, cut the grass, checked our camping gear for this weekend then cleaned the pool. The pool felt so great I changed and hopped in and had a Fuente Short Story. What a great end to a long day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pool and the Short Story sound good to me. Wonderful cigar. Have fun camping Matt. Can't wait to hear how Evelyn does.

    Have a nice weekend everyone-
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cain F Torpedo is indeed a tremendous smoke (but I agree it is not as good as the Robusto). This smoke did me in at the meeting--didn't/couldn't stomach another stogy that night. I think your review of this cigar is dead-on. Thanks for the smoke, Matt.

    A meeting @ the Hall Residence for Pool Purposes is a great idea. Too bad Matt just hosted...

    Hope Evelyn's first camping trip goes well. Stay cool.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as nobody wakes up the girls, we are welcome to have it at my place. I have plenty of chairs and of course the pool open if anyone wants to take advantage.

    Luckily our meetings are at night so we won't have to worry about Jeff pestering us with offers of putting suntan lotion on our backs...

    ReplyDelete