Wednesday, September 2, 2009

size does matter

i read an article the other day that made me think about the size of my cigars i choose. In this article it stated that a larger ring gauge cigar has different flavors than a small ring gauge cigar. take the same cigar in two different sizes and notice the difference. A longsdale or corona has less filler so you will pick up more of the wrapper than the filler,thus larger ring gauge,like a toro or a belicoso , you will taste more of the filler than the wrapper. pretty cool info and i am eager to try this experement. the article came with my cigar of the month club. hope somebody learns something from this. Bring a whole new perspective on ring gauge and how it affects your favorite smoke. HAPPY SMOKING EVERYONE......JEFF

3 comments:

  1. I have heard about this several times from different sources but (and I was just talking about this with Joe)I can't tell the differance between a corona or a toro (as far as taste). However, something I have NOT done is smoke the same cigar in different sizes BACK TO BACK. I will make a point to do that this weekend with a couple of VSG's that I have in a corona and a fat torpedo.

    Great idea Jeff.

    Hey, only 15 more days to OCCS night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have experienced this with the RP Edge. I have smoked this cigar in four different sizes, all of which taste much different from each other (my favorite, of course, is the Toro).

    I have noticed that the same cigar in different sizes will often receieve different reviews from Cigar Aficionado. Makes sense based on your info--and thanks for the input, Jeff.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently bought a sampler of Graycliff 1666s. Sizes ranged from 4.5x44 to 7x48 to 6x52. I noticed that the general taste/flavor was consistent between the 5 sizes. Maybe the 4.5x44 burned a little hotter than the torpedo,6x52, and therefore the taste changed a bit, but, to me, the difference was not enough to state that this cigar is different because of the size. Overall, they were the same to me. I happen to favor a robusto, toro or torpedo stogie to other sizes, so naturally I enjoyed those sizes more than the presidente or the knuckle.

    So, it may be a personal preference. It may be that I am not as an experienced smoker as you all, but I definitely can't tell a major difference in taste/flavor between the sizes.

    On a different thought, there are just too many factors to say what causes a particular cigar to be different than its replicas. I have had three Oliva Vs and have had a different experience each time. So, the same exact cigar size may not even produce the same experience each time. Another factor could be what you are eating or drinking before or during the cigar as well. Who would have thought this much went into smoking a cigar?

    ReplyDelete