Saturday, November 7, 2009

Rocky Patel Renaissance Review

Enjoyed a Renaissance toro this morning on my walk with the dogs. Beautiful day and I hope you all are enjoying some form of activity outside as well.

Appearance:
Striking cigar. A darkish brown/reddish Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. The band on this stick is very elegant as well. Double capped with small veins and zero noticeable seams. As always RP knows how to put out a top notch made cigar.

Construction:
The cut was perfect, as the first cap went almost a half-inch down the cigar to allow for no error. Again, beautiful and seamless. The burn and draw were perfect throughout as well.

Flavor:
First inch of the cigar offered a good amount of spice with woodsy flavor in the background. The remainder of the cigar, the woodsy flavor was the main flavor, but not strong, with hints of charcoal, cream and charred wood. These other flavors never popped out, as I wish they would have. This was a medium bodied cigar that was very pleasant to smoke.

Afterthought:
My only wish is that the flavors would have been more pronounced. This was a freebee at the last RP event at JRs (buy 3 get 1 free). After searching the web, MSRP is $8.xx for the toro. A little too much for this cigar, in my opinion, but maybe after aging one for a while the flavors would be more pronounced. Overall a very relaxing and pleasant cigar.

7.5/10

Take care-
Joe

3 comments:

  1. I havn't had one in a couple of months, but I remember lots of flavor on these. As a matter of fact, it is one of my favorite Rocky's. I will try to revisit this in the next few days to compare a review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to give this smoke another try, Joe. I remember Jeff gave me one back in February after he reviewed it, and we both thought it was pretty darn good. But then again, to each their own (i.e. Oliva Serie V...)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try this one again. I may buy two-smoke one and put the other at the bottom of the humi and let it age for awhile. I really wanted those flavors to come out more. Thanks for the input (also forgot about the review in Feb, but just read it.)

    ReplyDelete