Tuesday, November 3, 2009

October OCCS Meeting and El Baton Review

Another fine night of cigars and friends at Growlers. I hope our picture makes it into Cigar Aficionado. Cigars were plenty and even a cooler/humidor made an appearance. Good to see that everyone made it to another meeting, and Rich's first as an OCCS member. Also, happy birthday to Matt! I think he turned either 27 or 49, but not sure. John hosted this one and he brought an El Baton cigar as the cigar for the night.

El Baton is made by the J.C. Newman Company and I believe we had the double toro at 6 x60 (correct me if I am wrong). It is a Nicaraguan puro with a corojo wrapper. This was my second cigar of the evening after enjoying a delicious Oliva G maduro toro. I've heard great things about the El Baton, so I was eager to try. The El Baton started out as a smooth smoke and finished the same way. Even burn, no touch ups or corrections needed. The draw was good and cool all the way to the end, as was expected of the large ring gauge. The flavors I experienced were leather, earth and a tad bit of spiciness. Not sure of the price point, but I hear this is a good value cigar. I will definitely try again. I followed up the El Baton with a RP Sun Grown 6 x 60, which was also excellent.

El Baton rating=8.5/10

Take care-
Joe

3 comments:

  1. Great to see everyone again, and thanks to Matt for bringing the camera. The El Baton is indeed a repeat smoke-thanks John!

    November is also John's Birthday month-I didn't find this out until after our Oct. meeting, so we'll have to celebrate his at the next meeting.

    Looking forward to Rich's first meeting as host!

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. When is Moses', I mean John's birthday?

    As far as the El Baton, I can see why that is one of Jeff's favorites. Smooth is the perfect way to describe it. Great burn for such a large cigar. 8.5/10

    ReplyDelete
  3. el baton was awesome..the 601 was also awesome and i really liked the colorado from joe. the 1961 from rocky patel was awesome too. ......happy smoking guys........jeff

    ReplyDelete