Tuesday, November 3, 2009

How do you refresh your tastebuds?

Jeff brought up a subject at the last OCCS meeting that I found very interesting. He told me that he heard that having a soda between cigars is a good way to clear your palate, or refresh your tastebuds if you will. I find that when I smoke multiple cigars in a row, I can't get the true taste or full taste of any cigar after the first one, especially when I smoke the cigars back to back as on OCCS meeting nights. I realize that it could be my personal issue, but Jeff's suggestion made me think that I'm not as wierd as I initialy thought (maybe anyway). Do you all have this same problem? If so, what are your remedies?

-Joe

2 comments:

  1. I usually drink a soda when smoking cigars. Now that I stop and think about it, the soda likely does help me better taste the different cigars throughout the night.

    I agree with your observation that when smoking multiple cigars without "cleansing the palate" their tastes seem to get less distinguished.

    Another good point by Jeffro--our group's very own "cigar savant".

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big Soda fan. I MAYBE have 1 a month. That being said, I normally have either water, coffee, beer or Scotch when I smoke. I also have a harder time picking up some of the "finer" notes of a cigar during those marathon sessions of ours. That is why a lot of times, I will smoke our featured cigar FIRST, then stick with what I know for the rest of the night. It is rare when I smoke 2 cigars I am not familar on the same day.

    Along the same notes, I have noticed that what I am drinking will change the profile of what I am smoking, especially if it is a strong Islay Scotch or strong cask aged beer.

    I guess the only real solution is to continue smoking...

    ReplyDelete