Tuesday, September 21, 2010

ONE PUFF REVIEW: HC Connecticut Shade

ONE PUFF REVIEW: HC Connecticut Shade

Wrapper: Connecticut Shade – Ecuador

Binder – Sumatra

Filler – Costa Rica, Mexico, Nicaragua

Size – 6x60

I came home Friday after work and had a great surprise. Bob Moreno from Xikar had sent a couple samples of the HC Series for me to try. One was this new Grande (6x60) Connecticut Shade. The cigar was blended by Jesus Fuego and promised to be stronger than your average Connecticut.

Upon examining this large cigar I found no flaws in the wrapper. It had one large vein but nothing out of the ordinary. The feel was firm yet forgiving. I cut into this behemoth with my trusty Xikar Xi cutter (which by the way, for such a large cigar, this cutter had no problems with it) and lit it up. I was awash in great tasting hay and grass aromas in no time. There was a razor thin burn line that held even for the entire cigar which goes to say it is a very well made cigar. That is hard to do for such a large ring gauge. As I continued to enjoy this on my way into work I started to drink my coffee and that proved to be a great pairing.

About half way through a little spice kicked in, more mild to medium than anything. This was very reminiscent of the Montecristo White label. Excellent morning cigar or with dessert to wind the day down. I highly recommend this with coffee. What a great way to start the day.

While I can’t give this a full review based on just one cigar, I can say this would be worth picking up a few more so that I can do a full blown review. I can’t help to think that a little more spice would come with a thinner cigar (also available in a Londsdale 6x46). Unfortunately, the HC Series is not yet available in St. Louis. You would have to buy online or travel to purchase this. Bob from Xikar said he would have his reps try to correct that.

Matt


3 comments:

  1. Great review Matt. That was nice of Bob at Xikar since we don't have them here in St. Louis. I went out to Outlaw's in KC last fall and picked up a few of each wrapper and the Connecticut Lonsdale was my favorite. The Habano was very good too, however, again, the price on these cigars were around $9, so that turned my off on them.

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Score! How nice is that--getting some great smokes not readily available around here!

    I have smoked a few of the HC's (think you gave me a couple, Joe), and thought they were great.

    Hopefully Mr. Moreno can get his reps to hook up with Alcorn's so we can more quickly get our hands on these things.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is confirmed that Town and Country Cigars now have the HC Series in stock. Adam and I are planning a trip up there in a few days. Come join us! Thanks again Bob for making this happen.

    ReplyDelete