Friday, May 7, 2010

What is your favorite wrapper

We have all sampled a LOT of cigars. So the question comes to mind, what is your favorite wrapper?

Me, I have a lot of characteristics that I look for in a wrapper rather than a PARTICULAR wrapper. I like spice (but you can't always tell by looking). I also like oily wrappers. Those two things said, I usually like to reach for a Corojo from Nicaragua, in particular a Sun-grown Corojo. However, one wrapper that has also never let me down is the Sumatra. They are a little bit harder to come buy but are they good. ESPECIALLY sun grown Sumatra. Loves it!

Any guesses as to what cigar has a Sun Grown Sumatra? Hint: It is still my favorite...

Some other Sumatra wrappers:

Sol Cubana Sumatra - Medium bodied, semi-sweet taste (not infused, just how the tobacco is cured)
ITC 10th Anniversary - Medium to full bodied, plenty of spice
RP Renaissance - Medium to full bodied, spice on the back end

What are your favorite wrappers? And can you guess what has the Sun Grown Sumatra?

Matt

5 comments:

  1. I love a Nicaraguan corojo too. I think a lot of my favorite tobacco comes from Nicaragua. The Casa Magna is a Nicaraguan Colorado, which I believe is a corojo itself (please correct me if I'm wrong on that).

    Overall, I tend to buy more habano wrapped cigars than any others. Oliva O and V, NUB Habano, Cain Habano HC Habano...all good smokes, even the Oliva V.

    Matt, VSG? No doubt I on that I think. Although, Jeff could be correct.

    Connecticut is probably the next favorite of mine. RP Autumn 2008, Camacho, HC (Xikar), and NUB are all excellent Connecticuts.


    Cameroon has to be my least favorite. Anyone recommend a good Cameroon wrapped stogie?

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to go with Jeffro's guess, or some other seemingly random, non-related word.

    H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon is about the only cameroon I have smoked and enjoyed (although I must admit that I have not had too many cameroons...).

    I must admit that I am not very well versed in cigar wrapper types ("dark" and "light" about sums it up for me). Generally I will choose a Maduro over most everything else, as I look for the dark, oily, heavy smokes.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, you are correct. It is the VSG. I think a decent Sumatra wrapper is the Dark Sumatra from Hoya De Montgomery. I have only had a few but they are good.

    Um, Jeff, that was Wrapper not Rapper. Maybe the old age is getting to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice-T. Wow. That went right by me...

    Adam

    ReplyDelete