Friday, June 25, 2010

REVIEW: 5 VEGAS CASK STRENGTH II

Cigar Name: 5 Vegas Cask Strength II

Wrapper: Nicaragua Corojo

Binder: Nicaragua

Filler: Nicaragua and Honduras

Size: Toro (6 x 52)Strength: Medium/Full Body: Full

Price: $2.xx - 5.xx per cigar

Smoking time: 1 hour

Made in EstelĂ­, Nicaragua, The 5 Vegas Cask-Strength II is in my opinion, a great value especially when bought on an auction site. 5 Vegas is known for their value but it is not readily available except on line. On to the review!

APPEARANCE: The Cask Strength II has a reddish looking, oily wrapper. Very few veins. It is box pressed. The label is a maroon label with a foot label with CASK STRENGTH II written on it. Decent looking cigar. There is also something to be said for the box this comes in. It is a small “cask” that is filled with tobacco. Pretty unique. 10/10

CONSTRUCTION: The cigar is soft throughout but seems to be packed with plenty of tobacco. 8/10

BURN: With the softness of the cigar, I was worried that the draw would be fast and hot. I was dead wrong. With every cigar for this review, I had zero issues with touchups. The burn was perfect on every one. The ash would not hold more than an inch so you do have to watch for that. 10/10

AROMA: This has a very oaky and mossy aroma to me. Very pleasant and not overwhelming at all. 8/10

DRAW: Like the burn, I was expecting this to be like sucking through a straw and it was just not the case. Great draw. Very smooth. I had to use little or no effort to get huge billows of smoke. 10/10

FLAVOR: Leather along with the oaky aroma. 8/10

AVAILABILITY: As I mentioned above, these are easy to obtain but only online. If you play your cards right, you can score them for less than 3.00 per stick. However, retail is over 5.50 each. 9/10

PERSONAL OVERALL EXPERIENCE: I really enjoy these especially when you consider the value of the cigar. I would recommend these anytime of the day as it is not over powering at all for a cigar labeled as full strength. It is very gradual and smooth. The very defination of box worthy. 25/30

Total Score: 88/100

Matt

2 comments:

  1. Nice review, Matt. The Cask Strength II has been on my 'box buy' list for a while. I've never noticed them in tobacco shops either. Never thought about it. Cigarbid will make it happen sooner or later.

    Good cigar with a unque flavor. Matt-How would you rate the strength. Med-Full or Med? I can't remember as it has been a while since I've had one.

    Take care-
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say by traditional standards, med/full. However when you start comparing it to more recent blends like the Cain F, more on the Medium side. Let me put it this way, John should have no problem smoking it...

    ReplyDelete